I read lots of self-help articles when I’m in bed with insomnia that help me sometimes. Some of these articles have experts who explain that that living in the present moment leads to an increased sense of contentment. I am working on mindfulness and figuring out if it works for managing anxiety and overall contentment.
Last week, my therapist walked me through a mindfulness technique during our session:
- We chose a point in the room to focus on.
- We took slow deep breaths in for the count of eight
- held the breath for the count of eight
- and then released the breath for the count of eight
- remember to breathe from the diaphragm-not shallow breaths in the chest alone
- Repeat 8-10 times or just as many as you need unless your mind calms.
This was not the first time I had been taught a similar technique for managing anxiety. I needed a refresher since it had been about 6 years since my last lesson.
My therapist told me to use this exercise to become more mindful and we would talk more about mindfulness in our next session.
Mindfulness. What is it exactly?
How do you practice mindfulness in your life? Please comment. I’d love to hear from you. 💜👩🏻🌾